Thursday, August 21, 2014

Thursday's Toolbox: Too much stuff





There is no denying that magical practitioner tend to have a lot of different tools that serve many different functions.  We have our ritual wear, wands, knives, athames, staffs, cauldrons, chalices, peytons, jewelry, and many more. There always seems to be another magical item that we just have to add to our ever growing collection for this working or that ritual.

It can be overwhelming and honestly you begin to wonder do I really need all this.

Well, do you need it all?

Yes and no.  Ultimately it boils down to what you yourself need and what works for you.

Go through and look at each of your tools. Is there one that has not been used in awhile? Do you really see yourself using it in the next few months? If no is the answer it is time to gift it to someone else, a friend or a student.

I myself have a few tools that I use constant and others that I use very rarely to the point that I feel they are actually detracting from the rest. My favorite tools are my cauldron (I burn a lot of incense), my sword, my tarot cards, a mask, and some bones. There are a few others here and there that get used every couple of months or so, but the others that I collected when I first start gather dust.


I feel that sometimes we need to stream line our practice and getting out our tools and examining them from time to time is a good way to do that.  Your altar, if you work magic, should be a working space and not one that sits and collects random do-dads that serve no purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment